Thursday, January 24, 2013

1-900


The problem I always find with dialogue is how it often breaks the flow. In the process of writing, the punctuating and he intros to speakers constantly breaks my thought process and direction of the story. What Richard Bausch did very well was create a story compiled completely of dialogue without any break in flow. Bausch created tension and complications and kept me interested and informed of the characters without any narration or any mentioned knowledge of their personalities or problems.
The change at the end is surprising, when Sharon cannot complete the service because John actually accomplished what seemed impossible at the beginning. The change surprised even me, because I felt like Sharon was still capable until the moment that Sharon didn’t feel capable anymore, at which point I also felt very uncomfortable about it.
The story was very poetic and complex and left me wondering if people can really write like that on purpose or if those kind of stories are rare and surprise even the writer.

1 comment:

  1. The story seems to have made you think--not only about the lives of the characters, but also about the creation of fiction. In response to the end, I think it's the process of constant writing and multiple revisions that get a story to where this one was. I doubt this kind of complexity would emerge -- surprise! -- in a very early draft. Did you see Bausch's advice to writers, linked on the class blog?

    ReplyDelete