Friday, March 1, 2013

Commentary on "Moving On" by Katie Gillis


Katie Gillis’s story “Moving On” is about a woman who picks out an outfit with difficulty then goes on a date and a year later is engaged to the man she went on a date with. I think that Gillis started well in her passing of time on the third page.

Months went by. Turner and Olivia became inseparable. They were going on dates all through the week and weekends. Olivia still focused on her work and her friends became astonished at how quickly her and Turner have connected. The many months turned into a year. Their relationship had become more serious in past months and their future plans together began to come up more often.”
           
I often struggle with the passing of time in my pieces and I think the way that Gillis incorporated small bits of action within statements of time was successful in passing the time from when Turner and Olivia met to when they got engaged. However, though it was good, I wanted more of it. The whole piece was structure much more in novel or at least short story form and the flash fiction length wasn’t satisfactory. If the story is going to remain this short then it needs much more action like what is seen in the dressing room and much more face to face interaction.
I also struggled with characterization. When the story was over I knew what happened but not to whom it happened because both Olivia and Turner remain very obscure.
I also don’t like the italics and ellipsis on the second page and it took me out of the story. The ready knows that the italicized lines are thoughts so it is distrusting and boring to the reader to write them in italics and all capital letters.
More action, characterization, and detail is needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment